Cold Drawn Stainless Steel Orthopedic Rods for the Medical Industry
(Click on thumbnail to enlarge)
Our expertise with cold working a variety of alloys led to Rathbone Precision Metals, Inc. being awarded a contract to produce this Orthopedic Rod for use in a demanding medical application. We devised a single tool set that permitted us to cold draw either 455 or 304 Stainless to the customer’s tensile and yield strength requirements necessary for this medical application.
These .300" diameter rods, with .20" root diameters, were drawn to a smooth 63 Ra surface finish and cut to precise 6.599" to 6.638" lengths, all within ±.0015" tolerances. Our ability to precisely adjust the material properties during the cold draw process was critical to the success of this project.
To learn more about this profile as well as others, or how cold drawn and cold rolled profiles could benefit your application, please contact Rathbone today.
Project Highlights from Cold Drawn Stainless Steel Orthopedic Rods
- Product Application
- This Orthopedic Rod is used in a medical application.
- Capabilities Applied/Processes
- Die Design and Manufacturing
Our unique capabilities allow us to draw "PH" grades of material into varies profile configurations.
- Customer Benefits:
- Multiple grades using of materials using 1 set of tools
- Tight tolerance profiles in difficult to work alloy grades
- Tailored mechanical properties
- Overall Profile Dimensions
- O.D.: Ø.300"
Rood Diameter: Ø.200"
Length: 6.599" to 6.638"
- Material Used
- 455 & 304 Stainless Steel Grade Material
- Max Material Finish
- 63 Ra
- Estimated Profile Weight
- .204 lbs per ft
- Industry for Use
- Standards Met
- Per Customer Supplied Specifications
- Product Description
- Orthopedic Rod
View Past Work Portfolio